Wednesday 15 February 2012
Contracting Strategies & Issues for the Oil & Gas Sector
Led by Stuart Cavet, Partner & Co-Head, Middle East Energy & Projects Group, SNR Denton & David Risbridger, Head of Middle East Construction Group, SNR Denton
- EPC vs. alternative contracting models
- Risk allocation principles: client’s objectives vs. contractor’s objectives
- An overview of industry standard forms (eg FIDIC)
- Dealing with changing circumstances: force majeure; variation orders; change in law
- What happens when things go wrong? Performance security; dispute resolution; insurance; termination
- Governing law: “international” vs. “local” law; comparison of common law and civil law; mandatory local law issues
This workshop has developed from the work SNR Denton have been doing with the K companies. K companies will engage with international industry participants in building the infrastructure necessary to develop and support the upstream sector. When contracting for design, construction and project management and engaging with international contractors K companies potentially feel “exposed” and need guidance and there is equally scope for guiding the international companies, particularly contractors.
This workshop will provide the guidance needed by local and international companies and focus on contracting strategies and legal aspects.